Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The Joy of Giving




I held onto my bag full of gifts with a new found sense of satisfaction and a great deal of joy. I knew I had found the most wonderful gift to give to our little sister. It was the largest gift in my little bag. And I had spent my last three dollars buying this little treasure I was so sure she would cherish forever. Buying that big gift for my little sister was the highlight of my day.

It was our annual Christmas shopping trip. Dad would take Mom and us kids downtown and drop us off while he went to work. Dad always worked Saturdays. And Saturday was the only day we could pull off this kind of family adventure. Sundays were for Church and family. I don't think we ever went shopping on Sundays back then.

Today I handed that same little Sister her annual box of chocolates and this year's treasure - a coffee mug from a bakery in the little town where she lives. I found it at a garage sale - just a few doors down, and miles away from the little town she so loves. That 50 cent coffee mug just seemed to call out to me. "Give me to little sis" I could almost hear it say.

Years from now she may not even remember that silly little coffee mug. And as far as that best gift ever I found for her decades ago - I am the one still enjoying that long forgotten little plastic telephone.

The best gifts don't have to cost a small fortune. Last year my son had as much fun playing with the boxes as he did those gifts they contained. Toys long forgotten or safely tucked away in the far reaches of an overcrowded toy box. The momentary pleasure I enjoyed while watching him unwrap his gifts was my favorite gift. A pleasure I hope will never be forgotten or taken for granted. The gift of love. Love of God, Family, and especially the Love of children. God's greatest gift to us!

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. (Luke 2:10-14)

Merry Christmas!

No comments: